Welcome Back!

Image result for welcome home chicago




I want to give a big WELCOME BACK shoutout to all 2nd year Boothies & their partners! Hope you enjoyed your summer and are ready dive back in with all the amazing Booth Partner events we have in store this year!

WELCOME HOME to our new 1st year couples! We are so happy to have you here and cant wait to introduce you to all the wonderful experiences Booth Partners Club and Chicago have to offer.  Be sure to register online for our Welcome Party on September 27th at HUB51 to meet our Executive team, Co-Chairs and fellow potential new members. 

So much to catch up on. For those that followed my last post about whether To Sublet or Not to Sublet, I am so happy to report back that upon our return it did NOT look like The Rolling Stones spent the summer in our place as I imagined. I had this unrealistic vision of our subtenant throwing daily ragers and smashing all our stuff. Worst thing that happened was one of our lamps needed a new bulb. THE. NERVE. Call the cops stat. 

Now that we are back home, I am excited to get back to regularly scheduled programming. It starts with 5000 loads of laundry and a weekly visit to the Farmers Market this Thursday in the Daley Plaza. Be there or be square, for the laundry - not the market. Seriously H.E.L.P.

Some irregularly scheduled programming consists of my NEW JOB. Thats right folks, after a while of searching for a company and position that would be a perfect fit for my background and expectations, I have finally found the one.

I want to take a post to discuss the struggles I faced as I embarked on a new career path and to promote our upcoming event with career coach Pam Schilling on September 29th where she will dive into all things to help you succeed during your hunt. I attended the workshop last year and she was able to help me properly enhance my transferable skills to be relevant in different industries.

To give you a bit of background, I graduated from the University of Houston with a B.S in Geophysics and worked for 5 years in Oil & Gas. When Chris and I decided to move to Chicago I spent a couple of months applying to about 100 jobs a day in various industries that sounded fun and interesting from my comfy couch in my comfy apartment. Needless to say that didn't work in the slightest. Surprise, Surprise.

I rarely heard back from any companies. I realized never leaving my apartment was not going to be the way I would find my perfect fit. Even if I did have a killer resume and stellar LinkedIn page thanks to our Career Workshop, I needed to get out of the apartment and network. I decided to focus on activities that I really enjoyed, like Booth Partners events and joining The Junior League of Chicago which is a women's volunteer organization that focuses on improving the Chicago community through several different platforms. I took a step back, tried to figure out my other talents and didn't spend my days feeling pressured and anxious trying to find just anything. I am blessed with a very supportive husband who didn't push me to accept the first job offer I received but instead pushed me to find something that would truly make me happy.

In May, I was volunteering at a Junior League Career Panel where we had a number of professionals from various industries talk to high schoolers about what they do and how they got where they are. I felt so lucky to witness these students get inspired by each presentation. Our last speaker really got the attention of the kids but also captured mine- I knew I needed to introduce myself and make an impression. Just like that, I made the best career decision. After a few emails and discussions we were able to establish a great career path within the company where my skill set could really thrive.

It took preparation, time and patience but most importantly it took realizing my value and interests to make it happen. If you're currently going through a career/job transition- I know how easily you can get discouraged and stressed, but try to keep yourself open and reach out to your fellow partners. We are here for you!

Thanks for reading The Life of a Booth Partner

Be sure to check out our Upcoming Events including our Welcome Party and Career Workshop!








Comments

Popular Posts